Log Buyer, Castlegar, BC
Who We Are
Interfor is a growth-oriented lumber company with operations in Canada and the United States. We have an annual production capacity of 3 billion board feet and offer one of the most diverse lines of lumber products to customers around the world.
What We Offer
Interfor is where excellence meets opportunity. We invest in your success by positioning you alongside the best people in top quartile mill facilities located in great communities across North America. In the past decade, we’ve infused close to $1 billion into modern facilities and systems that employ the latest technologies.
Interfor is one of the largest lumber companies in the world and we’re growing in exciting directions. Come be a part of our success.
We are currently recruiting for a Log Buyer for our Castlegar and Grand Forks sawmills in the Kootenays, BC. The Log Buyer will be responsible for purchasing and selling timber, as required for the Castlegar and Grand Forks Mills.
What You’ll Do
- Purchase logs, as per mill requirements. The annual purchase wood needs for the sawmills in Grand Forks and Castlegar are approximately 500, 000 m3 per year. This wood comes from BCTS (crown timber sales), woodlot licensees, other major licensees, private land holders, First Nations and crown timber salvage
- Work to ensure that the mill has a proper balance on log size, suited to current breakdown equipment
- Work closely with the mill to understand the desired species distribution in order to assist in the lumber sales program
- Understand log markets with regards to competitor pricing to ensure that market price (or lower) is achieved
- Log quality performance on purchase wood
- Purchase wood safety performance
- Preference of 3+ years’ experience in BC Interior Harvesting and Road construction
- Purchase wood environmental performance (with regards to audits, ISO and SFI certification)
- Timber evaluation and pricing
- Build and maintain solid relationships with suppliers
- Rate negotiations (for operational costs), as required
- Prepare cost estimates (for operational and stumpage costs)
- Prepare budget and forecast (volume by size, species and cost)
- Delivery scheduling
- Maintain target inventories, in conjunction with the Woodlands Manager
- Manage the Log Sales program - currently 150,000 m3 per year
- Contract preparation and implementation (in conjunction with accounting personnel).
What You Offer
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a similar capacity within the forestry industry
- BC Log scaling license, or an interest in acquiring
- RPF or RFT designation or eligible to register with the Association of BC Forest Professionals is an asset
- Strong computer skills and related software knowledge including forestry applications
- Dependable and high level of physical fitness
- Strong safety leadership skills and the ability to identify and reduce risk throughout operations
- Demonstrated interest and knowledge of log quality impacts on mill performance
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with suppliers
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in a highly interactive team environment
- Detail and results oriented
Interested in being a part of our team? Apply online at www.interfor.com/careers We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applicants offered a position must successfully complete a pre-employment drug test and background check. Interfor is an Equal Opportunity Employer building a capable, committed, diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.